My Nephew digs a Stunning Queen Mary Groat.

Out with my Nephew again today on his permission. He had a couple of errands to run first thing this morning so I made my own way to the site and had been metal detecting a good couple of hours before he arrived. He found me in one of the top fields and asked how I had done. Nothing but junk I replied. He set up his detector, a Deus, and right away had a signal that turned out to be junk, then, only a matter of minutes later had another signal. He says to me run your machine over this signal and see what you think. I did and told him its not really a 'dig me' signal as it was breaking up. Well, he dug it and out pops a small piece of golden coloured foil. Never mind I says and starts walking off detecting. Couple of minutes later he calls me back. He had re-scanned the hole and there was another signal which turned out to be this amazing Queen Mary Groat. I couldn't believe it. Just goes to show how re-scanning your holes can pay off.
It came out in that condition, a stunning coin, well found Dave.


What did I find.....well, I am having a very poor run at the mo. All I found of any interest was a couple of buckles, another horse boss, couple of grotty farthings and a couple of grot pennies., oh, and what I'm sure is a watch winder.





But seeing that silver hammered coin above  made my day. Sort of gives you hope that there's still good stuff there still to be found.....My turn next time.

4 comments:

  1. that is a beauty and a good reminder about rescanning holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and some may have thought that the second signal was just another piece of foil and left it. Another lesson we learnt is never give up hope in a field. We have detected this pasture field a few times and only ever come away with the odd grot coin, button or a buckle. That saying there's a hammy in every field may hold true.

      Delete
  2. Excellent find and great story. No telling how much treasure awaits under trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes me shudder is that if that was me I may have thought the second signal was just another piece of the foil and left it without checking as i know I have been guilty of that in the past.

      Delete