Time to enjoy my metal detecting.

Like a lot of middle aged  people I once had a dream of retiring at the age of 50 - 55. For some it did come to reality but for me, nope, nowhere near it. I've always had this vision that retiring at the age of 65 seems very late in life to enjoy the fruits of all those years of working. Well, I'm nearly there now and at the age of 60 I can see me working up to the age of 65. So no early retirement in sight unless I win the lottery or dig up a life changing find with my metal detector.

As plan A has gone down the drain, I've now turned to plan B, semi-retirement. I did have a try at semi-retirement last year but it all spiraled out of control and I ended up working just as many hours as I always had. My problem was I was a 'YES' man. I just felt guilty about turning work down. But this time I am going to stick to my plan. I've started the ball rolling by giving in a weeks notice where I work now and I have already started with a new employer on a contract of 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Due to my maths that will bring in enough to live on with a little extra.

No way am I mocking work, its just that I don't want to be working my Autumn years of life away, I'd sooner be doing other stuff that I really enjoy, and am lucky enough to be in the situation where I can slow down. Fair play to those who want to keep on working, take my mate who is 63 and working all the hours he can get. It suits him, he loves it and good luck to him, but that's not for me.

You may think its alright for me, you may think I have a good well paid job and have loads of savings so I can semi-retire. Nothing could be further from the truth. During my working life I suppose you could say I have had one trade, that of bricklaying, but I only did a Goverment training course and never did feel confident doing it. All my other jobs, and there have been loads of them have been unskilled jobs like shelf stacking, labouring, factory work, cleaning, etc. My currant job now and has been for the last 5 years is a cleaner on minimum wage. I always say there is plenty of work out there if you are prepared to do anything.

My secret to all you youngsters out there, stay as debt free as you possibly can and never never live beyond your means. If you can't afford something, leave it until you can. Debt is a killer, a stressful thing to be in. Looking back I have seen many examples of how debt ruins lives.

What's all this got to do with metal detecting I hear you ask....booger if I know, I've forgot.

......... oh yea, I remember now, what I'm trying to say is from next week, I'm going to have lots more time to go out hunting with my metal detector.
All I need now is some permissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment