Good run with my C.Scope cs4pi this afternoon.


I was delighted to have a full afternoon free to myself today so made the most of it and popped over to our local beach with my cs4pi. Our beach is only a small sandy cove but has been host to the locals of Plymouth for decades. Mind you, I expect every metal detectorist in Plymouth has hit that beach one time or another, and I'm no exception.
Its only a 20 minute drive for me and I was on the beach just after 1pm. I set my cs4pi up as best I knew. I found the best setting was the right hand dial fully clockwise. and the left hand dial in the green zone were I could run quiet. And boy did it run quiet, I was very impressed

To begin with I had to detect up on the dry sand as the tide was still in. The signals soon started to come and I was digging junk after junk finds. Tent pegs, pull tabs, bottle tops, rusty nails and a whole mountain of other trash. from what I had read about the cs4pi I was expecting this. The digging was easy in the sand so didn't really bother me. Also the depths I was getting was all I had read about the cs4pi, hell I dug some deep holes. Also must say its a very light detector and easy to swing.

My game plan was to detect the tide as it was going out which I did. As its a small beach I was able to walk one end of the beach to the other, slowly following the tide line down. To be honest I was glad to get off the dry top of the beach as this is where a good 80% of the trash was. I did manage to winkle out a couple of decimal coins but it was the wet sand I was after.

Anyway, after a couple of hours I was well onto the wet sand. This was a lot less trashy and the odd decimal coin popped up. Finds went very quiet for a couple more hours until I was at the half way point. More bits of trash started popping up along with a few more decimal coins. Another couple of hours and the tide was well out and for the first time I was proper metal detecting the low water mark. No false signals and every time I did get a signal I knew there was something there. I did have to leave a couple of deep targets as before I could get them out the hole had filled with water and was lost.

It was very exciting detecting this low water part of the beach as I knew if there was any gold or silver rings etc, this is where they would most likely be, so every signal was a heart stopper. I thought I'd cracked it with that ring in the photo, but turns out to be a junk ring. After finding a few more decimal coins and a bit more trash I had a lovely sharp signal and thought I bet its a bit of tin can. I dug it and was amazed to find it was a woman figurine. Seems to be broke off something but a surprise find. She sits 3.5 inches high and is 4.5 inches at her longest point. She's heavy and I would guess made of pewter and was attached to something once.

An enjoyable first proper hunt with my cs4pi. I had to leave just before low tide as it was getting dark and that beach is a spooky place on your own at night. Can't wait to give it another go, or maybe a different beach next time.

4 comments:

  1. Good interesting write-up. Have been following up any info on the cs 4 pi and intend to hit the beach asap having bought one of these detectors. Will let you know how I get on . Regards from Mike [ aka " The Coinmaster " ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please do Michael, I would love to know how you get on with it. I need to get another CS4PI as I had a mishap a while ago with mine. I placed it against a low rock while I was chatting to a chap who was asking me questions about the hobby. After about 15 minutes he moved on and as I bent down to pick my detector up I noticed that it had rolled over submerging the control box in a rock pool. The sea water was pouring out the head socket and as you can imagine it totally ruined it. At home I opened the control box and tried to dry it out for a few days, but it just all rusted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Hit the beach just before low tide and the crowds with my new cs4pi with the intention of testing this machine on the wet sand.It proved to be a real deep seeker ! My advice is use it with a pin pointer, having dug some very deep holes, I found this an essential accessory. Be prepared to do lots of serious digging---not a machine for the faint-hearted due to the fact there is no discrimination so it means a dig for every signal. As for the settings, I found the two knobs best set in the green segments with the right hand one further clockwise. A great machine---does what it says on the tin ! Can"t wait to try it on pasture fields along with my Garrett 250---to make comparisons ! Happy hunting from Mike.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that positive review of the cs4pi Mike. Sounds like you are getting on great with it.

      Delete